Friday, September 18, 2015

More on the Great Move

This update is a little late in coming and long overdue, but I promise it is all good news.

First of all, the cat seems to be mostly her old cranky self and is quite settled in at the new home. The new environment seems to have had an impact on her purring and meowing. Her purrs are much louder now, and she is much more chatty. Her meows are so loud they are startling at times. I'm not complaining, I love hearing her purr. I am a crazy cat lady, so I'm thrilled she meows at me when I talk to her. She is fueling my crazy now.

Second, we are officially free of the old home. After a seriously frustrating process, where we found ourselves wondering repeatedly who exactly our realtor was working for, the sale on the old home closed and we were able to close the door on our old home town. I won't lie, part of me was sad to let go because of all the memories and things associated with that home. But now that there has been some time away, and we are settling into our new routines I find I am looking forward to making new memories for our now home to hold. 

Third, David's new workshop space is now ready for him to move in to and set up. We had to replace the flooring (carpet floor for wood working is not a good idea), and were finally able to do so. Now he as the daunting task of setting up and unpacking, but it is going to be amazing when it's all done. I can't wait for him to be able to start working on some of the projects he's been waiting to do.

Fourth, we are mostly unpacked! There are still some boxes, like David's workshop is all still in boxes and I have some knick-knacks, photos, and candles I haven't unpacked. But all the important home stuff is officially unpacked. 

Now we get to really enjoy our new home and our new town. We have had some people over and David has cooked some amazing food. We have also found some great places to dine, including a McMenamins really close and a really tasty Thai place. There is a book store not even 4 minutes from our house which we have yet to set foot in because that's just inviting trouble. The only problem is there is a disturbing lack of easy to access Starbucks for us in the mornings. There is one, but the volume of people is so much higher here that the wait time is longer and it is just less convenient to swing by in the morning for a cup of I'm too lazy to brew at home. I hold on to the dream that they are still taking over and there is going to be one opening up on a closer corner any day now.


2 comments:

  1. I love moving. Okay, I HATE moving. But I love that feel of being in a new place. When my stuff is still packed away and I've only got the absolute bare minimum in place. When my refrigerator is clean and only has ketchup and a container of fruit. When the clutter and dust of life hasn't settled onto nearly every surface. I'm a little jealous of you, honestly. :) It sounds like things are going well for you guys, I'm glad to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get what you are saying-it's nice when you first move in and things are new and uncluttered/uncomplicated. It's been nice slowly getting our stuff set up. We've also been getting rid of stuff-my husband went through the house and purged a bunch of stuff before we started packing. So we are at least starting out with a smaller amount of stuff, but it's still 15 years worth of stuff. It's been going really well, and it totally feels like home now!

      Delete