Friday, March 14, 2014

Journal Day #2

Journal Day #2 - Meaningful Song
Prompt:  We all have songs that really mean something to us.  Often just hearing it can take us right back to that place and we are able to re-experience the memory associated with the song.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but either way music has the ability to really draw things out and evoke deep emotion.  Choose a song that has a particular meaning to you.  Tell the story of the memory associated with the song, sharing as much detail as you can.  Take us there; let us experience it with you.

It's really more of a whole album, Depeche Mode - Violator, but if I had to pick one song from that album it would probably be World In My Eyes.  It makes me think back to the summer between middle school and high school, and hanging out with my friend Josie.  I had always felt like an outcast in school but hanging out with Josie was different, I finally felt like I fit in.  Josie didn't go to school with me, she was home-schooled.  We met when our parents had become friends.  She was so outgoing and friendly, I adored her instantly.

I practically lived at her house (it seemed like) that summer.  I have fond memories of lounging about her comfortable living room listening to the Violator cassette (CD's were just becoming available) over and over while it gently rained outside.  We would sit around and write bad poetry and talk about boys.  I can still see the brown furniture with the knitted afghans thrown over them and the wood coffee table we would usually cover with teen girl magazines and junk food.  We wouldn't turn any lights on, there was natural light coming in from the windows and when that faded there were candles everywhere and a couple laval lamps.  I was happy there.  I have fond memories of those days with Josie and any time I listen to that album today I can close my eyes and be back in her living room.

Thank you for the prompt Sometimes Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment