Thursday, February 5, 2015

Book: Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey

I wrote a post about the series I'm currently reading, the Expanse Series, a space opera by James S. A. Corey.  The post was about the first book Leviathan Wakes.  This post will focus on the second book, Caliban's War.

Holden and his crew find themselves on the recently damaged planet Ganymede.  Ganymede was a planet that was responsible for growing much of the food for the surrounding colonized planets, and it was also a planet of research and development in agriculture and medicine.  A new kind of super solider was unleashed on the gentle planet causing mass destruction.  Holden, while doing some investigating on the planet, stumbles upon one of Ganymede's survivors, a scientist named Prax who is starving and hell bent on finding his missing daughter.  As the story continues we met a martian soldier, Bobbie, who was on Ganymede and witnessed the super soldiers in action.  We follow her journey as she tries to make it right and finds herself allied with people she would have never expected, including a politician, Avasarala, from earth who is busy trying to keep a war for igniting over what happened on Ganymede.  How does the story unfold?  What about the protomolecule? You are just going to have to read the book to see what happens.

Some of my issues from the last book carried over, like the pronoun confusion.  I think it's just going to be that way in this series for me.  I think my favorite characters are Holden and his crew (Naomi, Amos and Alex).  I enjoy the relationships between them and the general dynamic.  I'm hoping that will continue through the series.  This book left a few loose ends I'm hoping will be addressed or revealed in later books, like what happened with Mei (Prax's daughter).  I will do my best to be patient.  More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment