Monday, April 20, 2015

Music: Aoife O'Donovan

I've been posting a lot of book posts and have been neglecting music posts.  My husband, David, has wonderfully eclectic taste in music and pretty much listens to whatever moves him or inspires him.  It is one of the many things I love about him.  Right now we are on a bit of a bluegrass/newgrass (also called progressive bluegrass but I like newgrass better) kick.  There is some really amazing talent out there and I love everything he's been playing for me.  You are going to get a bunch of newgrass artists from me in my next few music posts.  Even if this isn't your choice of music, at least give them a listen.  It will restore my faith in humanity.  Do it for me.

Today I'm going to talk about Aoife O'Donovan.  This is the first song David played for me (I'm pretty sure):

(Aoife O'Donovan & Sarah Jarosz - "Some Tyrant") (I love YouTube)

Yeah, I wanted (needed) to hear more!  Her voice pulls at my heartstrings.  One of the albums David bought  after finding Aoife was her solo album, Fossils.  Listening to the album I hear hints of Joni Mitchell and Edie Brickell.  Aoife is backed by Ryan Scott on guitar, Jacob Silver on bass, Robin MacMillan on drums, Charlie Rose on pedal steel guitar, and Rob Burger on various keyboards and accordion.  Oh yeah, I said accordion.  The way her voice haunting blends with the instruments is just beautiful.  Just listen to this:

("Red & White & Blue & Gold" from Fossils)

She lends her voice to some projects as well, one David just introduced me to this week.  Crooked Still.   The album is called Some Strange Country and the talented artists on the album are:  Aoife on vocals, Corey DiMario on bass, Gregory Liszt on banjo, Tristan Clarridge on cello, and Brittany Haas on fiddle.  They all complement one another so beautifully, listen to this:

("Half of What We Know" from Some Strange Country)

And the last project of hers that I am going to mention is I'm With Her.  I'm With Her is Aoife on vocals and guitar, Sara Watkins on vocals and fiddle, and Sarah Jarosz on vocals, banjo, and guitar.  Those three voices together are magical to me.  Their first album together comes out May 8, 2015 and below is a track from that album:

("Crossing Muddy Waters") 

This is just a taste of what Aoife has out there in the musical world.  She plays in music festivals and plays with several other artists.  I love the way her voice just seems to fit with whatever she wants it to do.  This is just an introduction, if you love her voice as much as I do go out there and find more.  I'd love to hear what tickles your fancy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment